Almost everyone has at least one cavity. It’s a very common dental problem. It doesn’t have to be, though. You’ll be much less prone to cavities if you make a few simple lifestyle changes. At Bell Dental Group, we want to be your partner in cavity fighting!
- Brush and Floss – Your daily oral hygiene is the most important thing you can do to prevent cavities. Brush at least twice daily, for a full two minutes each time. Set a timer to ensure you put in the time. Use a fluoride toothpaste and a brush with soft bristles. You should floss every day too.
- See Us Regularly for Cleanings – Even the best brushers can miss some plaque and bacteria. Over time it hardens into a substance called tartar, that can only be removed during a professional dental cleaning. See us twice a year so we can rid your teeth of tartar.
- Try Preventive Procedures – For added protection, you may want to take advantage of preventive treatments. Fluoride treatments will make your tooth enamel stronger and more resistant to decay. Dental sealants provide a barrier against cavity-causing bacteria.
- Increase Your Water Intake – Water does a lot to fight cavities, since it rinses away bacteria and other problematic substances. Drink lots of water, especially with meals. Rinse your mouth after eating if you won’t be brushing soon. Bonus: drinking water provides many other health benefits and can even help you lose weight.
- Consume Teeth-Friendly Foods – Cut down on sugary and acidic foods. They can damage tooth enamel and increase the amount of bacteria in your mouth. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. The water and fiber they contain will help scrub away bacteria. Cheese and other dairy products are also good choices. They contain calcium and casein, both of which strengthen tooth enamel.
Ready to schedule a cavity fighting visit? Call Bell Dental Group at 513-802-9440.