Everyone wants a nice smile. Everyone also wants a healthy mouth.
Knowing this, everyone should want healthy gums as well.
Periodontal problems affect anywhere from 70 to 85 percent of people, according to health experts. And in the United States, gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss.
At Bell Dental Group, we want to do our part to help you and your family keep your healthy smile for as long as possible. That’s why we encourage preventive care and offer gum disease treatment in Cincinnati, OH.
Call 513-802-9440 today to schedule a checkup with us soon!
Take Charge of Your Gum Health
Keeping your gums healthy is vital both to your oral health and to your overall health. In fact, gum infections have been linked to complications of diabetes and an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and heart attacks.
Knowing this can help you do the things that you should to prevent gum infections. Preventive care is about having a consistent routine of oral hygiene. According to the American Dental Association, you should:
• Brush twice daily — Specifically, you should use a soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste with fluoride. Clean your teeth (not too hard) for two minutes each time. This gives you plenty of time to clean your teeth from all angles.
• Floss daily — Brushing can remove a lot of bacteria and plaque, but you also need to clean between your teeth, and flossing is the most effective way to do that.
If dental floss is a problem for you, consider getting flossers or a water flosser instead. Flossers have short handles with a strand of floss on the end. Many people find these more comfortable to use than standard floss. Water flossers generate a stream of water to remove bacteria, plaque, and food particles from between your teeth and gums.
• Get regular checkups — Regular professional dental cleanings and exams remove plaque and tartar buildup. The exams also make it more likely that any gum infections will be found early, when treatment is simple, more effective, and less expensive.
Learn the Symptoms of Unhealthy Gums
When your gums are healthy, they should look pink and feel firm.
When your gums appear redder than usual and appear swollen or puffy, then you are developing a gum infection. As your infection gets worse, you may notice other symptoms:
- Bleeding when you brush or floss
- Bleeding even when you aren’t brushing or flossing
- Constant bad breath
- Sore or tender gums
- Teeth that feel loose
If you notice any of these symptoms, please plan to visit us soon. You don’t want to put your smile at risk when gum disease treatment in Cincinnati is so near.
Protect Your Smile
Some people are more likely to develop gum infections than others, but anyone can practice good oral health habits to reduce their risk. That should include a consistent daily oral care routine and regular visits to Bell Dental Group.
To request your next appointment, call 513-802-9440 or contact us online.